Children are wholly sense-organ, and react to all the impressions of the people around them. Therefore the essential thing is not to imagine that children can learn what is good or bad, that they can learn this or that, but to know that everything that is done in their presence is transformed in their childish organisms into spirit, soul, and body. The health of children for their whole life depends on how you conduct yourself in their presence.
The Island Waldorf Early Education Centre focuses on the first seven years of life and offers an education that respects and protects early childhood.
We believe that the future development of each individual child and of humanity as a whole depends on health-giving experiences in the first seven years of life. In Waldorf kindergartens, foundations are laid for later learning and healthy development, including life-long physical, social, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual growth.
This education is based on an in-depth understanding of the unfolding development of the child. Activities in Waldorf early childhood education take into consideration the age-specific developmental needs of young children, from a focus on will-oriented physical activity in the first three years, then on imaginative play in the middle years of early childhood, and later a more cognitive approach to learning after the child enters primary school.
In our Early Childhood class, the teachers consciously cultivate:
- An aesthetic environment that nurtures and does not overstimulate the children’s senses
- Behaviors and inner qualities worthy of imitation
- Child-directed free play, which would lay the foundation for lifelong physical, emotional, and social health as well as academic capacities
- Real self-care tasks that foster fine and gross motor skills
- A breathing rhythm of contraction and expansion between activity and stillness
- The four foundational senses according to Rudolf Steiner
We are currently in the process of registering our early education classes with the Education Bureau. We expect the registration to be completed by end of 2019.
Our early education class is:
- Led by a highly experienced English-speaking Waldorf teacher, supported by 2 teachers that speak Cantonese and Mandarin;
- Making full use of green spaces in our immediate neighborhood to maximize outdoor play;
- A mixed age class for up to 24 children aged 3 to 6;
- Given admission priority (but not guarantee) to Island Waldorf School’s Class 1;
- Children who are aged 3 to 4 may choose between half day or full day program; once they turn 5 they must attend full day program.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions section for more information on our pedagogy and school operation.
They are learning about what it means to be human… and that’s a big job! It is challenging to be a child in this world.